We post on demand From the recipe section of theinfonomia and here we have one of Nigerians favorite. Okay called okra in Yoruba can be cooked singly and also as a mixed okra soup called I’ll Alasepo, served with stew. The level of viscosity or you called draw determine how great your Ila Alasepo will be.
Ila Alasepo Ingredients:
Precooked meat – 2 cubs
Smoked fish – 2 pieces (washed and pulled)
Fresh or dried prawns – 1 cup
3 cups beef stock or water *
½ teaspoon cooking potash (Kaun) or Baking soda *optional
1 cube maggi (2 cubes if using water)
1 teaspoon pepper powder
3 tablespoon blended crayfish
¼ cup palm oil*
Salt- to taste
1 red bell pepper (Tatashe) – finely minced
2 cups chopped okro
*(use less water if you are not adding lots of meat to the soup)
* You can make this even healthier by leaving out the palm oil
Direction For Ila Alasepo :
1) Place a pot on medium heat , pour in the meat stock (or water), cover and bring to a boil
2) Add in the cooking potash if using. Reduce heat to medium. Add in the prepared meat, fish, prawns, crayfish powder, maggi palm oil and pepper. Combine. Leave to simmer for 10-12 minutes
3) Stir, taste and adjust for Seasoning
4) Add in chopped okra and minced tatashe. stir well to combine. taste and adjust for seasoning. Simmer for another 3-5 minutes
Note: If using baking soda, add it in about 2 minutes before cooking ends.
Best enjoyed with Semolina, fufu, garri or pounded yam .