innovateAFRICA is a pan-African contest run by Code for Africa that aims to accelerate digital innovation in watchdog media and civic news organisations by funding transformational ideas and then continuing to support them through a network of peers and advisors.
innovateAFRICA is modelled on the highly successful Knight News Challenge in the USA, and builds on the 2012 African News Innovation Challenge, but has learned from these initiatives and offers more intensive support to address the challenges facing African innovators.
Application Deadline: December 01, 2016
Your innovation should fall into any of four broad categories: news gathering; storytelling; audience engagement; or the business of news.
- innovateAFRICA is an open and worldwide contest.
- Anyone, anywhere can therefore apply – as long as they have an African partner to help with implementation.
- There is no other age or geographic restriction.
- The competition is open to nonprofits, for-profits or individuals of any age, anywhere in the world.
- Awards to minors will be made to an intermediary designated by innovateAFRICA.
The total purse for prizes is $1 million.
The dates below are guidelines. Their intention is to give you an idea of the timeframe of the process.
- September 01, 2016: Contest opens
- December 01, 2016: Application deadline
- December 20, 2016: Finalists announced and invited to submit full proposals
- January 20, 2017 Winners are announced
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the innovateAFRICA Fund 2016